Find answers to frequently asked questions about the Clean Cars for all program.
- Am I eligible?
- What is the process?
- What vehicles are eligible?
- How much funding can I receive?
- Do I need to repay the grant?
- Can I go to any dealership?
- If I purchase an electric vehicle, can I get funding for a home charger?
- Can I submit more than one application?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- How do I receive my Drive Clean grant award?
- What is the process?
Am I eligible?
Eligibility is based on several criteria which includes the California county where you reside and qualifying household income, which is 400 percent of the federal poverty level. Check if you qualify by entering your gross income and county of residency. (Click here to see if you are eligible.)
What is the process?
- Download the application form
- Complete your application
- We’ll verify your income and other documentation please fax or email application and items on checklist to DriveEVgrants@communityhdc.org or 510-439-4898
- Participate in financial education training
- After completion and approval, purchase your clean vehicle
How much funding can I receive?
Up to $20,000 in low-interest Auto loans from (Travis Credit Union or Beneficial State Bank) and up to $5,000 in grant funds from the State of California Air Resources Board.
Do I need to repay the grant?
Grants received do not have to be repaid however, there are conditions. Low interest loans will require repayment. Call the Driving Clean team for more information.
Can I go to any dealership?
To participate in the Driving Clean Assistance Program, you must use one of our network of approved Franchised dealers. We have partnerships with specific dealers to ensure that our customers receive a fair price on the vehicle they select. We will provide a list of dealerships you can visit upon approval of your loan.
If I purchase an electric vehicle, can I get funding for a home charger?
If you purchase a Battery Electric Vehicle or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle, up to $2,000 in additional grant funds are available for an at-home or portable level 2 charger. The eligible applicant must own the property where the charger will be installed or provide evidence from the property owner allowing the applicant to install and operate the charger. We have partnered with GRID Alternatives to provide installation services for clients. (GRID Alternative’s website)
How do I receive my Drive Clean grant award?
Grant funds are paid directly to the dealership, on behalf of the grantee. You will need to bring your approval letter to an authorized Driving Clean Assistance Program dealership to begin the vehicle selection process.